Skip to main content

Dried Fruit Scones

Was in the mood to bake something yesterday and I didn't want anything sweet... so figured scones would be the best choice and they were.

Ingredients
All purpose Flour: 200gms
Baking Powder: 2 1/2 teaspoons
A pinch of salt
Sugar: 4 or 5 tablespoons
Cold Butter: 50 gms
Milk: about a cup
Dried fruits like currants, apricots or prunes.
Getting started, sieve the flour, with the baking powder, salt and sugar.

Now cut your cold butter into tiny cubes and drop them into the flour.
Gently using your fingertips break the butter into the flour... you'll get a coarse texture.
Now add your dried fruits and mix it in the flour. I had only prunes at the moment, so chopped them up and added to the flour.
With a long spoon slowly stir the flour as you add in the milk. Stir till everything is combined and you'll get a messy sticky dough.
Dump this sticky dough onto a floured surface and knead it using a little flour till it forms a smooth dough on the outside. Be careful to knead very lightly and just for 3 or 4 times, to maintain the texture. Apparently if you knead it too long, the scones tend to turn out denser.
It has been shaped into a smooth thick dough, now we just have to cut out little round pieces.
Using a cookie cutter ( I don't own a cookie cutter, I have used another small container I had at home) cut out circles and place them on a baking sheet. Knead the leftover dough into a smooth patch and cut out more circles. Keep using the leftover dough until everything is shaped and placed on the baking sheet.
Brush with a mixture of milk and egg yolk to give it that glossy come hither look. Then slide the tray into the oven to bake for 15 to 20 minutes. (I used only milk to brush these scones, ran out of eggs yesterday)
Here they are just out of the oven and smelling great. I love the smell of something baking... its uplifting and therapeutic, and these smelled really really good.

I had some strawberry preserve at home so dabbed a bit onto these scones and they were great. This is my first time making scones, and my first time eating them too... and they were really fabulous. I have no idea why I hadn't made them before...

Comments

Unknown said…
Well hi there! I love that you visited me! :) I adore your blog, so homey and sweet!
I share your passion for christmas, and wish it was about 11 months a year (we can use the remaining for Fall holidays, like Thanksgiving!) But I agree, family and the cozy nest we make our home and especially at such sweet holidays, who could ask for more?
I love cooking, and you've got some stupendous ideas that are totally droolworthy, I must try these and more! So Im staying and getting a good look around your fabulous bloggy land! :P


Hugs,
Hello Karen:
We love scones, sweet or savoury, although cannot make them ourselves. They are, of course, an essential component of an English Afternoon Tea but are not always as successful as yours look to be. Indeed, some scones we have tasted in the past are nearer to Rock Buns......or should we just say, Rock!!!
Diane said…
I love scones but I seldom make them. We do not bake often as after one slice or couple of scones they get left so it is a waste. We are not cake eaters!! These look delicious though. Diane
Suzi said…
These are lovely, I am not much of a baker but I am trying. Nice blog you have here I am adding to my blog roll. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you return. I will be back here again soon. Have a pleasant weekend.
Suzi
Katarina said…
Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I love scones and it's really nice that you added dried fruit.
Thanks for visiting earlier :) YOur space is lovely and glad to follow you for more great ideas! Would also like to invite you to follow my humble little blog too if you have the time :)

http://personalfoodjournal.blogspot.com
Mmm, I love scones, especially with dried fruit with heaps of butter.
Karen Xavier said…
Thanks everybody for dropping by...
Hi, thanks for visiting my space and for your lovely comments. You have a lovely blog here with lotsa interesting read. These scones look beautiful too with the strawberry spread :)
Michael Rowland said…
I'm enjoying your blog, and I looked around the kitchen and found some dried apricots so soon I'll be enjoying your scones too, thanks,,,M
Hello Karen, your scones look delicious! Thankyou so much for visiting me and leaving such lovely comments, it is very much appreciated. I hope you have a wonderul week, Linda x
Sobha Shyam said…
these scones look so simple to make, will definitely try them out, thanx for the visit to my space and for your comments..!!
Binys Recipes said…
nice space...no show offs just fact...be it in cooking or writing love it....scones are gr8 love to have it with a cuppa
Julie said…
Love to have the scones.. Surely kids will love the most..
Thanx for visiting my blog n leaving ur sweet compliments!!
aipi said…
Delightful scones ~ perfect with some hot chocolate :)
USMasala
These look great, would make the perfect mid-morning snack!
kankana said…
I make biscuits the same way .. never made scones though and now I am tempted to bake it.
Hi Karen, I've given you an award. Please checkout at my blog. Congrats!
Lovely scones. I wanna have them for my breakfast.

http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com
That Squirrel said…
I love love scones... try it with cream AND jam! You'll definitely wonder where they've been all your life. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa